Find What you're looking for easily

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Looking in the Mirror and Liking What you See?

So this week's blog from me for More! Magazine was on body image and how I am still not entirely happy about what I see when I look in the mirror (to read it click here).



I have always had issues with how I look, ever since I was around 15 and I started making an effort with my appearance, wearing makeup, doing my hair and going out with my first boyfriend. Back then I was closer to a size 12, but a bit more confident as I had 34C boobs, whereas now I am probably closer to a 34A than the 34B I am wearing... I have been on a diet ever since the age of 15, on and off but mostly on. My weight has yo-yoed more than I can keep track of, though never going below a size 8 or above a size 12.

When I found out I was pregnant I decided to finally ditch the diet and start eating what my body was telling me to, which involved a lot of food! I put on 2 stone in total whilst I was pregnant, going to around 12 stone at my heaviest. Immediately after having the baby you lose a lot, because you are no longer carrying the baby or the water either. I was left with a huge belly though, hanging a bit as the muscle is just gone! It was really hard to accept that this was my body. You aren't allowed to exercise until after your 6 week check up, but to be honest, apart from walking with the pram, I still haven't done much in the way of exercise... I hate the gym and haven't had a chance to do any of my exercise DVDs that are collecting dust on the shelf. It means that, despite having now lost all of my baby weight and more, I still don't feel confident with how I look when I stand in front of the mirror in my underwear. I have what is referred to as a 'mum tum' which is where the muscle in the stomach hasn't gone back to what it was before having a baby, and looks a bit like a 'pouch'. It makes me feel really self conscious, especially when wearing tight clothing.

My body (taken tonight)



I am also extremely self conscious about my tiny boobs. I was just about ok with them before Cameron, as, although small, they were high up and looked alright. Now, after having breastfed Cameron for 4 months, I have a slight sag to them and stretch marks on them as well. It makes me feel self conscious and I have resorted to padded bras to feel more ok with the way I look in clothes.

I am down to 9 stone 8 and a clothes size 8-10 but I am still not overly happy with how I look. I have my bad days and my good days, but I also think I have an unhealthy relationship to food. I was eating a healthy balanced diet, having a treat day every week and this is how I lost the majority of my weight, but lately I have 'fallen of the wagon' so to speak and seem to have totally lost my appetite. I will eat junk food one day and then not even feel like eating a healthy meal the next. I feel sick a lot which puts me off my food as well. I seem to be maintaining my weight at the moment, but I am worried that long term this 'diet' is not going to do me any health favours.

I am seriously looking at having a boob job once I have finished having children, there is no point beforehand as I wish to breastfeed again and they would only change with pregnancy anyway. I don't plan on going silly big but I loved being a 34DD just after having Cameron so I would aim for that. I know a lot of people don't agree with having surgery for 'cosmetic reasons' but personally, I feel it would increase my confidence so much that it would be worth the pain and the cost. I have quite big hips and don't think I would ever have a tiny waist or flat stomach, so I would feel more in proportion with a bigger pair of boobs.

For now I am putting a Wonderbra on my birthday wishlist which promises to increase your cup size by 2 sizes which suits me fine. I will also be getting myself into some sort of fitness regime over the summer, once I have more time, but in the meantime I will be walking as much as I can and fitting in some sit ups. Feeling body confident is extremely hard, but I do try and look at my 'flaws' and think that my body produced Cameron so I should feel proud of it, lumps and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...