Find What you're looking for easily

Sunday 6 March 2011

Cameron's Weaning Journey: My first attempt at homemade purees!

I was so excited to start making Cameron's food myself. As he is almost 6 months I decided it was time I got the blender out. I decided to make two flavours to begin with, a sweet dessert one and a more savoury one for his main meal. I have just made my first puree:

Strawberry and Apple:
 
My Inspiration!

                                                      
   To make this puree you will need:


Ingredients!

-2 apples
-1/3 a punnet of Strawberries
-half a teaspoon of sugar (to sweeten the apples)








Equipment You Will Need:

-a blender (I used a handheld one)
-a large bowl to mix in
-a Saucepan
-a sharp knife
-small storage pots (to store for future meals, avoiding wastage)

This recipe makes enough puree for 6 meals.

First wash the apples and strawberries. Put a pan with a small amount of water in onto the heat and begin to boil the water. Meanwhile, peel the apples and chop them into small pieces.

apple chunks

Once the water has boiled, add these pieces of apple to the boiling water.

 Leave boiling until the apples are able to be mashed with a spoon. Whilst this is being done, chop the strawberries into small pieces, make sure there is no stalk left.

strawberry pieces

When the apples are soft enough, take them off the heat and leave to cool for a minute. Add the apples and the strawberries to the bowl.


Before blending...

Plug the blender in and, starting on a low speed, use the blender to puree the apple, water and strawberries. The puree should be as smooth as possible, with no apple lumps left. Once the mixture is smooth enough, add the sugar and mix with a spoon to sweeten (this stage can be missed out, but I found the mixture was still a little sour for Cameron even with this sugar).


...and after!


Spoon the mixture into storage pots, I found that 4 teapsoons were the right amount for a portion with Cameron.

I gave Cameron the puree for lunch and he found it a little sour (he made a cute face that showed how sour it was!) but he seemed to enjoy it and ate it up.
 
enjoying his new food














I can't wait to make the Sweet Potato, Broccoli and Carrot puree later today and try him with that one too!

 N.B. Food that won't be used within 24 hours of preparing it needs to be stored in the freezer and defrosted before serving to baby. This can be done in the microwave, but needs to be steaming hot and then cooled back down before serving. Test the puree's temperature on your wrist before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...